Protect Your Memories: How to Store Photos and Paintings in Self Storage
Have you ever found a cherished photograph or painting that was stored in a less-than-ideal place, only to discover that it had been damaged beyond repair? It’s a terrible feeling, one that many people have experienced. Maybe you stored old family photos in the attic or garage where they were exposed to pests, humidity and extreme temperatures. It’s heartbreaking to see the images you loved deteriorate before your eyes. Fortunately, there is a better way. In this blog post, we’ll share some tips on how to store photos and paintings in a self storage unit that will keep them safe and preserve your memories for years to come.
1. Consider a Climate Controlled Storage Unit
The best way to protect your photographs and paintings is to rent a climate-controlled self storage unit. These units are designed to maintain a constant temperature and humidity level, which helps fend off damage caused by extreme temperatures, humidity, and pests. A climate-controlled environment is especially important for items that are sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity. It may cost a little more, but it’s worth the investment to ensure that your memories are preserved.
2. Tips for Storing Photographs Correctly
When it comes to storing photographs, it’s important to handle them with care. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
– Store photographs in acid-free archival sleeves or boxes
– Avoid using rubber bands or paper clips, which can damage the prints
– Store photographs vertically rather than stacking them, as this can cause them to stick together
– Keep photographs away from direct sunlight, as this can fade the images
– Label your photographs with dates, names, or descriptions so you can easily find them later
3. Techniques for Storing Paintings
Paintings require a bit more attention when it comes to storage. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
– Remove any dust or dirt from the surface of the painting using a soft brush or cloth
– Wrap the painting in acid-free, pH neutral paper
– Place the wrapped painting in a box or crate that is large enough to accommodate it without bending or touching the edges
– Store paintings vertically (with the side that was previously on top now on the bottom) to prevent any paint from cracking or peeling
– Avoid placing anything on top of the painting, as this can cause damage to the canvas or frame
4. Store Valuable Items in a Safe Place
If you have valuable family heirlooms, it’s even more important to store them in a safe and secure location. Consider renting a self storage unit that has extra security features, such as cameras, alarms, or a gated entrance. This will give you peace of mind knowing that your items are protected from potential theft.
Storing your cherished photographs and paintings in a self storage unit can be a great way to protect your memories and keep them safe for years to come. Remember to choose a climate-controlled unit, handle your items with care, and store anything valuable in a safe and secure location. If you follow these tips, you can rest assured that your precious memories will be preserved for future generations. So, go ahead, rent a self storage unit and keep your memories secure.
Get started by checking out the latest Move-In Specials.